Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2016

To Mom...for Mother's Day

Pin It
A mom can look different to so many people...but like my sister Julia used to say to me... "Mine is the best." What makes a great mom? I want to know because I would like to be one. I want my kids to have a great mom. Why is my mom so amazing and how do I grow up to be just like her?

This is what I have learned from my mom:

Selflessness. My mom is the least selfish person I know. She doesn't have any hobbies except being available to people who need her. You won't catch her having some "much needed me-time". If she can help you she will and most times she will find a way to make your needs her number one priority. I don't know how she pays her bills or cleans her house because she is always busy feeding other people and cleaning other people’s houses. Do I really want to be a great mom? Then it is time I stop worrying about myself. I will give that job to God and start listening to what someone else around me might need.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Righteousness. My mom is like Christ. If you pop in at the right time she will most likely have a new "revelation" to share with you. Something God is teaching her and she can't help but let you in on the beauty of it. It makes her radiantly beautiful. Do I want to be a great mom? I need to have Christ spilling over from my heart and constantly be telling others little, beautiful truths of God's word.
Romans 3:22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

She is a HARD worker. She modeled the idea of "spending yourself on behalf of someone else." She gave all her energy to her home, her meals, her laundry, her church, her husband, her prayers. I watched her stop in the middle of a haircut to stitch someone up at our dining room table and then start dinner without pausing.  The Lord blessed the work of her hands and she is a gourmet cook, a spotless cleaner, a medical dictionary, a church volunteer warrior, a loyal friend, and someone who shakes the heavens with her prayers. Do I want to be a great mom? Am I ready to work hard? Am I ready to spend myself for the cause of Christ? Will I work HARD for it?
Proverbs 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
Eternity-minded. This world is not her home. She doesn't desire anything in it, except maybe an unlimited amount of money to spend at the grocery store, to feed the masses that frequent her house. She is constantly reminding others, "this life is temporary." She doesn't desire the latest fashions or busy herself with things that will not matter for eternity. Do I want to be a great mom? Am I ready to lose the grip on this world? Am I ready to have nothing because I can't take it with me anyway?
Job 1:21 He said "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Goodness. She brings goodness wherever she goes. People trust her because she has a long history of goodness. She does not harm others with her words or her actions and she helps other people to not do the same. I know she will bring a peacefulness and a joy when she is around...and it makes me want to be around her a much as I can.
Proverbs 31:12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

Our personal family hair stylist

 Carving out a week of her life to come help me with a new baby. She is about to do this for the 33rd time with my baby in July!


 Saddling up a horse for my kids…any time!


         Just being beautiful… and making amazing birthday cakes for my kids 




You are one amazing lady if this is your fan club (made up exclusively of                                                   your grandkids)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...