Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Oatmeal Bread

Pin It
I had a couple requests for the bread recipe from my starving the budget post. This is my mom's recipe and I don't know where she got it, but it is amazing, a no fail favorite, and the BEST BREAD EVER. We used to come home from school and eat 2 loaves between 4 or 5 of us girls. A grown man could polish of one loaf by himself, no problem. My boys are following in the tradition and can put down at least three pieces at a time. Best of all... it is CHEAP to make. So here it is:
1 C. of Oatmeal
2 C. Hot water
1/2 C. Brown sugar/honey
2 T.  Butter
1 T.  Salt (not heaping)
Put all these together in your mixture or a big bowl and let sit until the butter melts and the hot water cools. This gets the oatmeal all mushy.

Put in a separate dish
2 T. Yeast 
1/2 C. Warm water (not too warm)

Add the yeast mixture to the oatmeal mixture when it is cooled. Then mix in:
5-6 cups of flour
The bread should be a little sticky still. If you are making it in the mixer the bread should stick the the very bottom, not be completely attached the the hook.You don't want it hard as a brick but a little elastic-like and sticking to your fingers.

Let the dough rise until it doubles in size. Then take it out, punch it around (I have heard this is called kneading), and then pinch the middle until you get two loaves. Make sure there are no creases near the top of the loaf because they will split open while cooking. That is a pet peeve of mine because I want PRETTY loaves.

Let the newly formed loaves rise until they double and size. Stick em' in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Then take out a stick of butter and rub it all over the top.
The oatmeal makes these loaves so moist! This is sure to be a favorite.



Let it rise



The pans have shortening and then flour dusted in them so the loaves don't stick




 Ready to hit the oven


Out of the oven, hot and ready



Loaves ready to head to the neighbors



The best part... feeding my little man. The strawberry jam really throws this over the top. I think he approves!



3 comments:

  1. This is on my list for this weekend...finally feeling the energy to make it, and we're running low on the store bought! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm serious...I use this recipe ALL the time, please never take it off your blog. :) I also share it with a TON of people and get rave reviews. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a staple for any Momma with LOTS of kids. Cheap, filling and YUMMY. I want my little ones to remember the smell of homemade bread and think of me when they are grown!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...