Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010 Resolution: Be Frugal

Pin It There are not to many things I am good at or even love to do, but I am cheap and I do love a good deal. There is just something about finding and buying something for less then usual that sends my heart soaring. I have decided in 2010 I am going to take it to the next level. I want to be creative in how I can save my family money so we don't have to be slaves to the paycheck. I love that saving money can help bring me closer to Christ. I can be a better steward of the money he has given me. I can simplify by buying less. I can take my eyes off things of this world and look at eternity more closely.
So here are some frugal thoughts so far:
Thrift stores: Why have I neglected them for so long? I was reading the Duggar book and she buys all her kids clothes at second hand stores. If she can cloth her family of 20 I can cloth my family of four.
Craiglist: I am already looking for Christmas gifts for the boys. Like-new play kitchen and tool benches. My boys are one and two years old. They don't know the difference and if they did get new toys they are going to be beat up in a week or two anyway.
And lastly, my favorite...
Salvage grocery stores: 25 pound bags of flour, .75 dressings, cereal for $1.10, chocolate chips for $1.00, .25 taco shells, and cheap cheese.
If I just did these three things I know I could save a ton of money, but I am going to keep looking for more creative ideas. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

2 comments:

  1. we like to use restaurants.com to buy gift certificates. you pay $10 for a gift certificate worth $25 and sometimes they have deals. its nice to know we can go out on a date and not break the bank.

    i also shop at aldi as much as possible - and MEAL PLAN! i find whenever i plan our meals out, we save so much more money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey krista, what is a salvage grocery store? I am so the "cheap" one in the fam myself, and i, too love a good deal. i have friends that go crazy at garage sales in the summers here and they get AMAZINGLY cheap and in good shape toys for their kiddos!
    i LOVE that frugality is yet another thing we have in common!!! muah!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...