Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Corn is READY!

Pin It
I went for a leisurely walk through the garden last night... and noticed the corn was quite large. YUP... it was ready and so we dropped everything and picked it. It turned out to be our entertainment for the night. We brought some to the neighbors, ate it, husked it, flossed it out of our teeth and got it ready to freeze this morning. 
I love and hate doing corn. I love it because it is easy to freeze and beautiful, but I hate corn because you have it stuck to you instantly and your house is trashed with the first swipe of a knife. Soooo... I started at 6:00 this morning and was done before breakfast. I needed to avoid the heavy morning traffic.

I had some great helpers...



 Amazingly cute


 Ummm... mom can you get some floss for me? These baby teeth are killing me.


One of our piles


All of the kids husked corn..even Abigail got two completely husked. She is a huge asset to the team.


They got paid in corn.


My recipe for freezing came from my Aunt Carol. It is so easy now all of my sisters use it too.
16 C. corn
5 C. Ice cold water
1/3 - 1/2 C. Sugar
2 T. Salt
I used 1 cup of lukewarm water and dissolved the sugar and salt into it and let it sit for a while. Then I added 4 cups of ice cold water. I just used my sauce pot to mix it together because it is BIG, but don't be deceived... there is NO COOKING that needs to happen.


Then I scooped two cups into quart bags (another tip: use name brand so they don't leak in your freezer...soooo sticky). I flatten them so they store better and then freeze them. One batch makes about 8 bags and you need about 32-40 corn to make a batch (depending on the size).


Yea! My garden came through... even if it did get neglected a bit! Hey, it was a baby year. That is all that needs to be said. It is a miracle there is anything that survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...