Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Preschool Age Chore Packs

Pin It
I just revisited our chore packs yesterday. The kids were getting sick of the same old chores and wanting to expand their expertise in household cleaning. Of course, I graciously complied and came up with the most awesomely, fun, surprise new chores. The waited for me with their hands outstretched and eyes closed on the couch. Seriously... chores are just that much fun at our house. However, don't get all stressed out about the overwhelming amount of obedience and joy in our house because, sadly, the chores ended with much crying and one child complaining about being outside by himself. Whoa... I wasn't expecting it to go down like that.
However, I am happy to report the chores are still a hit, the children have forgotten the tears and can't wait for tomorrow! 

This is how we do it at the Bartlett house. Chore Packs. I found them on a blog and thought they would work great for us and they have, for almost a year now. I took pictures of all their chores, printed them in wallet size prints on my home printer. Then I put them in old school wallet picture holders ( I don't even know what you call them). I attached pictures with binder rings and hung a string around to put over their head. I put their picture in the first slot so they can find their pack easily. I found everything in the office section at Walmart.






Here is our chore list for the new year. 
Spencer (age 4):
  • Get Dressed
  • Brush Teeth
  • Make Bed
  • Pick Up Room
  • Wipe Down Toilets
  • Empty Trash
  • Pick up Living Room Floor
  • Fill the Diaper Basket
  • Shovel the Sidewalk
Jack (age 3):
  • Get Dressed
  • Brush Teeth
  • Make Bed
  • Pick Up Room
  • Scrub Toilets
  • Straighten Shoes
  • Vacuum Living Room
  • Wash Kitchen Table
  • Shovel Sidewalk
Honestly, I am going to make on for Abigail too (almost 2) because she wants to be included so badly. I don't get all stressed out about the job being done perfectly. I, mostly, do it because it helps get us going in the morning, helps keep the house from a total melt-down, helps get the boys moving and burning some energy. 


Here are some examples of the pictures I take to slip in there. Nothing fancy. It just needs to be something to jog their memory. They usually memorize them so quickly that in a week or two they don't even wear the chore pack anymore.


Empty Trash


Brush Teeth


Get Dressed


Fill diaper basket


Pick up room


Shovel sidewalk (Spencer did this all by himself...isn't that amazing?)

Here are some that I took out from last time ( I will save these and rotate them in later):

Water Plant



Empty Silverware

I have been waiting to do this since the first of the year. I didn't get around to it until now, but I wished I did it earlier. It just helps our morning go so much smoother. The first week or too it takes a lot of work on my part to show them how to do a new chore, but after that... it totally pays off!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea!!! I'll have to remember this for Madelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is going to be able to do them before you know it. She is so big already. We loved the Christmas card. We put everyone's picture in a photo album and pray over two families after dinner. So you guys have joined the mix and next time they see Madelyn they will know her well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...