Pages

Monday, June 1, 2015

Double Birthday!

Pin It
Last year I shared my birthday for the very first time in 30 years. I thought having a baby was the best gift ever on my birthday so I didn't think for one minute about sharing that day. I imagined her and me going out to dinner when she's older every year, making special memories and hugging and kissing each other all day long.
Really, it was just God teaching me another lesson is selflessness. He did it because I am so consumed with myself sometimes that I forget to focus on others and Him.
I LOVE birthdays for my kids. My mom was great at birthdays and I want my kiddos to love me as much as I love her so I have to do birthdays up right. I do special cakes, and balloons and streamers and special cereal and meals and "free day from chores" pass and pick whatever-the-heck you want today and we will probably do it. I love it and I take extra effort and time to make those little ones know they are special to us and even more special to Jesus.

Justin doesn't get into the birthday scene for the kids, except in attendance, but he does do a pretty spectacular job for me on my birthday. He gets breakfast, does dishes, gets kids ready, and anything else I could hope or dream of. I love my birthday and Mother's Day because my husband becomes Super-Man and I become Super Lazy!

Not so for this new birthday routine. We invited friends and family over, we needed groceries and food prepped. My house needed to be picked up and some areas cleaned. Penelope doesn't know what is going on now, but in a few years she will and she will look forward to this being her special day, not mine.

All that being said...it was a great day. Justin and I tag-teamed it in the morning for our church routine. I helped get lunch ready, but he cleaned it all up while I sat on the computer and had coffee. He took the kiddos to McDonald's so I didn't have to make dinner and I could have a few minutes of quiet. We went for a family bike ride and I ate WAY too much Dairy Queen cake.

Every year after this it will be less about me and more about her. That is why God made me a parent...so I could learn to focus less on myself and more on God and others. I guess only those who need a swift kick in the pants are lucky enough to share their birthday and their spoil time!


Each year, Lord willing, I hope to take a picture of us two! Here is our first two years. 


Mom Thought: Life is not made for me and my wants. Until we head home to Heaven we will be learning to put others needs before our own. Children are a great at helping us with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...