Pages

Friday, June 12, 2015

A Mother's Reflection on Family Pictures

Pin It
I have a love/hate relationship with family pictures. I love to see them, stare at them, frame them, shop for them but I HATE to get ready for them and take them. It is like the Nazis are coming and the house is on fire and everyone is calling my name to let me know...and we are late...for the Nazis. I spend the whole morning trying to remember why I paid money for this.

We head into pictures with smiles and stern instructions to be obedient and HAPPY, and we leave with sweat rings, gray hairs and our parental dignity shattered. Slushies were promised for good behavior. Children who smiled got in and got out. Those who cried...well, they didn't stop crying...for anyone or any beautiful thing we promised.

It is all worth it when you get those timeless prints. Your whole family is one place, standing still, clean and MATCHING. It really is a magical time.


However, here is the real story behind these pictures.
"One down...thank you Lord! Did you just pinch me Honey? Please tell me you are not pinching ME already."


 "Why did I think I could wear white pants? Let go of your brother...NOW" 


                                 
"I love the camera. I could do this all day."


 "Oh, Jack, please...watch and learn. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment. Don't you just LOVE my dress?"


 "Yup... I would rather be dead." 


"I am about to go down...all the way to Chinatown people. You better break out the big guns."


 "Did I just see a Smarties?"


 "Wow Mom, could you have remembered a Kleenex? It wasn't like it was a busy morning or anything."


 "This is what I clapped, talked in a high pitched voice, and told underwear tricks about your dad for."


 "I am a little nervous about this..."


"Oh yeah, bad idea. You better move fast, old man, or WWF Smackdown is going to break out on the church lawn."


"Ummmmmm...weird"


"Oh...now, super awkward." 


 "Why did we leave our kids unattended pile of rocks... why is there screaming? Why are we taking pictures of the two of us?"

Well, it's been real, but I think we will do that again in another 15 years. 

Really, the love outweighs all of that hate. I have a couple pictures from my childhood with our whole family, and I cherish them. I have to give myself the pep talk I know my mom would give me if she heard me whining like this.

“What are all the positives Krista?” I can just see you looking at me mom.
Okay…
·        We only had to drive to our church, 2 minutes from our house. How is that for close?
·        I showered. Big time win.
·        We only paid $25 and it helped out the MOPS group at our church.
·        Since we were so close to home my Hubby ended up just staying home and working in his office. The kiddos can pop in and see him more often and it is a treat.
·        These babies are so stinkin’ cute and they are disappearing before my eyes. I need some memories of them like this…even if it is a ton of work.


Mom thought: Anything that is fun and memorable takes a lot of work for a mom of littles. We have to choose a few things that are worth it to us and make it joyful. A little bit of laughter goes a long way!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...