Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

The garden is in!

Pin It
I had my doubts...I didn't know if it was going to happen this year. We had already skipped last year due to our May 31st baby. I actually had all my plants bought before we went to the hospital and I came home with that sweet baby AND returned all the plants the next day. There was no time for weeding. I had to snuggle that baby and figure out how we were going to survive with 5 kids. 

So...this year I was really itching to garden. I like an excuse to be outside with the kids. I can weed with them, we can talk, no one comes in the house, the baby is happy in the baby jail, I mean, cage.
 I love to grab a bucket full of goodies and cook with it that night.
 I love to can and then rub my hands back and forth, and I feel like the wealthy do for one minute, with my full canning shelves. Then I feed my kids... and it is gone, all of it, in about two minutes. 
I love when someone realizes that dill pickles are AMAZING and that mom made them.
I love watching the first sprouts of green come up.
I love finding the first pumpkins and helping everyone lay claim to the one they will stalk daily and guard with their life.
I love fresh cilantro. That happened one pregnancy and never stopped. AMAZING. IN EVERYTHING.
I love making the kids weed. I love hearing that is hot and itchy and they are so tired, because it builds character and helps them learn to work hard.

Most of all, I loved putting the garden in. All the kids were outside. The girls built beautiful cakes out of the leftover flats from the veggies. The boys helped dad, begged to shoot the birds in the garden, caught grasshoppers and had water fights.
You have to do it as a family or else it is too hard. We all needed to chip in so that we can eat some delicious goodies (sorry Spence, I know you disagree now, but I am telling you...someday bell peppers will taste like candy).

These are the days I hope my kids remember.
Simple fun.
Working together.
Dad being silly.
 Mom slapping dad because he is always putting the moves on.
 Long nights.

 Falling asleep instantly.




              The sweetest little helper. Always looking to see how he can be a servant.


  Teaching her younger sister the ways of the dirt...and maybe throwing a rock          her way when no one was looking.


Our big man quick to volunteer to take care of those birds. 


The beautiful cakes produced by the Dirty Sister's Bakery.


             Yup...Dad is flexing. It is going in all of your picture books and on everyone's graduation poster board. Dad rocked the garden.

Mom thought: Having a family is fun. Some days it is really hard, but other days it is pure joy!

1 comment:

  1. Story of our life over here.."Dad being silly, Mom slapping Dad for always putting the moves on" Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...