Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Little Ham That Could

Pin It


Looks scary right?

It is anything but that. This is all that is left of the ham who made the gift that kept on giving.

My sister brought me a ham a week ago. I was grateful, but had I known what that little baby was going to do for our family I would have kissed her feet before she left.

The next day we all had hearty ham sandwiches for lunch. Then the day after that I made scalloped potatoes for our family and the neighbor. Then I cubed up a few more slices for our snack plates at lunch. Then I got down to that scary little bone. The only thing I could think of to use it for was bean soup or pea soup, both of which I had never made before, and the thought of trying to serve them to my hubby made me pursue a different route.

I came up with potato soup. I hadn't made it in forever. I just needed an idea of how to use that bone to get some more flavor. My mom told me I could just boil it and then use the stock instead of the water in my recipe. Lovely. I turned out beautifully and tasty and I even made it on day I wasn't feelin' so hot.

Here is the sick day potato soup:
3 1/2 potatoes
4 c. water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/3 cup celery (I didn't have any celery so I used carrots. Hence, the very orange color)
1/2 c. onion
1 c. ham
1/2 t. thyme
bay leaf
salt
pepper
5 T. butter
5 T. flour
2 c. milk

If you have a ham bone, simmer it for 1 hour with some onions. Make sure the bone is covered with water when you start. If you get more then 4 c. water freeze it for your next soup.

Put water (or ham stock), potatoes, bouillon, celery, onion, thyme, and bay leaf in pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.

In a separate pan melt butter and then wire whisk in the flour until it is a smooth paste. Add milk slowly while whisking the crap out of that milk so that it doesn't have any chunks in it. It will thicken up to a sauce-like consistency. Pour the milk mixture into the potato and veggie pot and stir. Add the ham.

Put a few parsley flakes on the tops for pretty! Not that anyone in this house noticed, but they liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...